20040928: IDV opening network directory

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Hi Bill-
>Don,
>=20
>I attempted to access a bundle file created on a Linux pc, stored in
>~/.metapps from my Windows pc.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.

>My Linux home directory is mapped as H: on the Windows pc, and I can see
>and access the mapped drive fine with Windows Explorer and all
>Windows programs.

Okay.  But do any of those show the files or directories that start
with . by default (see below) ?

>With the (GLOBE) IDV 1.1 under windows, I did a File --> Open of the H:
>drive and the .metapps directory is not listed ? If I do the same thing,
>but on the local drive C:, the .metapps directory is listed.

Under Unix/Linux, any file/directory that begins with a . is hidden
On Windows, such a file is not a hidden file by default.
When I look at my Unix home directory with the My Computer link on
my Windows desktop, I do not see any of the hidden files/directories
that begin with ., but I do see the .metapps directory under
C:/Documents And Settings/dmurray because it is not hidden.

>Is this behavior intentional ? or ?

It's intentional only in that it is the default behavior for the chooser.
We can set a flag on the chooser to show hidden files, but I'm
not sure I want to make that the default.  For example, having hidden
directories is sometimes desirable if the rest of your home directory
is readable by others.  You might have a directory called
.bills_personal_stuff on you Unix system that you don't want
viewable by the world.  I'll look into this more, perhaps giving
the user the option to show the hidden files.  But, then you lose
the security through obscurity.

For now, as a work around, when you open your H: drive in the
selector from the File --> Open menu, just type in .metapps for the
filename and hit return, and you will see the contents of the
H:/.metapps directory (except for any hidden files there. ;-)).

Don Murray