20040921: IDV - Plotting point and IDV1.1 problems

>From: "Kevin Petty" <address@hidden>

>Institution: NTSB
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: Redhat 8.0
>Hardware Information: Dell Pent. 4 Processor 2.80 GHz; 1 GB DRR SDRAM
>Inquiry: Plotting Point:

Hi Kevin-

>Presently, I create netCDF track files from latitude/longitude/altitude data t
> o plot the flight tracks of aircraft in IDV. I would like to take this anothe
> r step. I would like to plot the position(s) of an aircraft as a point in spa
> ce, in combination with other data (e.g. level II radar data). Since each pos
> ition is associated with a specific time, I would like to be able to animate
> the display to see how the aircraft position changes with the meteorological
> data. At this point, is there a way of doing this in IDV? Is there a way to f
> ormat a netCDF file to do this?

At present there is no way to do this at present without writing some
code.  However, we are going to be working on some IDV enhancements for
the upcoming RICO field project for plotting aircraft tracks and
this would be a good addition.  Do you have some sample files I could
use for testing?

>IDV problems:
>
>I noticed a couple potential issues in the latest release of IDV. When track d
> ata is plotted on the display, there is no longer the ability to select the c
> olor of the track. You can select a different color table, but the color of t
> he displayed track does not change.

DOH! My fault. Somehow this got past the testing.  I fixed it and it
will be in the 1.2 beta 1 release (sometime in the next month).

>Also, when I use the data probe on Level
> II radar data, the value that is displayed does not match the value displayed
>  on the color scale (bottom of image when turned on). I think the values on t
> he color scale are correct.

I can confirm that I see the same thing, but don't have a quick answer.
I'll have to look into this further.

>You guys are doing a great job!! I use the software more and more.

Glad it is working for you.  Thanks for the feedback.

Don Murray