20040921: IDV - Radar Level II file extension

>From: "Amanda Macleod" <address@hidden>

Hi Amanda-

>Institution: University of Oregon
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows 2000; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.0;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_05
> ; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.2_05;
>Inquiry: An error has occurred:
>There was an error loading the data:
>unable to create adapter(s): error reading files
>
>My Nexrad Level II radar files have been unzipped from their original .tar fil
> es,
>but my files still have a .Z file extension (not shown in screen captures from
>
>"Getting Started" help file). Why is this? I can't unzip them any further beca
> use
>I don't know what the file extension should be for a Nexrad data file (WinZip
>won't unzip unless I specify what the extension for the file is to be). Any he
> lp
>on this would be appreciated! Thanks very much.

The .Z extension indicates that these have been compressed with the
Unix "compress" command.  You need to uncompress these individual files
as well.  Usually, there is no file extension used, but having one doesn't
hurt anything either in the IDV (i'd avoid something like .doc, maybe.)

I just tried this in WinZip 8.1 and when it prompted me for the file
extenstion, I just backspaced over the period (.) at the end of the
file name.  I also tried putting .txt as the extenstion and was able
to read it in the IDV.   The bigger problem is that I don't see how
to do all the files in a directory at once in WinZip (but I'm no
expert on that program).  It looks to me like you'll have to go
through the process for each file.

Once you have them uncompressed, be sure you use the data chooser
in the Radar->Level II tab of the Data Source Selector, not the
file chooser.  One of the problems with Level II files is that there
is no station location information in the file, so the chooser will
allow you to add in that metadata.

Let us know if you have problems using the IDV to read the data.

Don Murray