Re: 20040921: IDV - Topography and terrain

Hi Dave,

Inquiry: 6.1.1 describes a topographic display.  How do I get and display the data.  I
can not find a "Topography" terrain type.

Though the IDV can read in DEM files directly we typically use the topography that is contained within model data. For example, if you load in the ETA model form the Catalogs data chooser you can select, under "2D grids",
"Geopotential height at surface of the earth"

Is it possible to use CADRG or GIF images as a background.  If so how?

We currently do not support the CADRG format. As to GIF images - the current released version of the IDV can read in GIF files but can only display them in the Omni display control since there is no geolocation information in the image. However, we are currently (literally as we speak:-)) developing a graphics drawing tool within the IDV which will have the capability of displaying imagery located at given lat/lon points. This new
facility should be in the next release later this Fall.

-Jeff