20040920: IDV - Display MM5 output

>From: "Yonghai QIan" <address@hidden>

Hi-

>Institution: SDSU
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_02
> ; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.2_02;
>Inquiry: Dear Madam/Sir,
>
>My name is Yonghai Qian. I am trying to use IDV to display mm5 outputs. I conv
> ert MMOUT_DOMAIN1 to nc file MMOUT_DOMAIN1.nc. then add new source
>It show in Data sources. but nothing shows in Fields and Displays.

This is usually caused by a netCDF file with incomplete metadata about
the dimensions and variables.

>Could you give me some advice what I can?

When I've looked at netCDF files from MM5 in the past, I've noticed
that there is not much metadata in the file to allow proper geolocation
of the points.  Also, units are usually missing and coordinate variables
are not properly defined.

The IDV needs proper metadata to be able to locate the grid in
lat/lon space (we don't yet support unnavigated grids).  Could
you send the header information from the netCDF file so I can
see what changes might be needed?  You can get this using the
"ncdump -h <filename>" command.

Alternatively, I know MM5 output is sometimes converted to Vis5D
format.  If you could convert it to that format, you might have
better luck.

Don Murray