20040615:IDV - linux - plotting point data at altitudes off the surface level

In your example file of point data (metar station data) in netcdf format on the
Unidata ftp site at:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/idv/sample_data/04052616_metar.nc
the elevation is 354 meters, or something close to that.

The IDV station plot of this data appears at 0 meters.

[...]

Hi Stu,
My fault in pointing you to the PointObFactory. It turns out that netcdf file based metar data is processed by
the NetcdfPointDataSource class in method makePointOb.

In there there is a line commented out:
           int altIndex = type.getIndex(RealType.Altitude);
           //if (altIndex == -1) altIndex = type.getIndex("elev");

As you pointed out the netcdf file has altitude as "elevation". The problem with uncommenting this
line is that it leads to an error later when we create a
EarthLocationTuple which uses the real tuple type RealTupleType.LatitudeLongitudeAltitude which does not match the "elevation" component. One possible work around would be to convert the data file to use altitude instead of elevation. Since you also are working from the code base you could change NetcdfPointDataSource to convert the elevation component to altitude.

-Jeff