20040602: Problem with IDV 1.1b3 wind vectors?

>From: Rich Signell <address@hidden>

Hi Rich-

>Since I retracted my last question, I figure I have
>one credit. ;-)

But then your request for ocean_s is a debit isn't it. ;-)

>I'm using the IDV system formulas "make wind vectors"
>and "speed from two components".  The speed looks
>fine, but the wind vectors are not pointing in the
>correct direction.  In the attached image, the vectors
>should be alligned with the strong bora winds flowing
>across the Adriatic from the Croatian Mountains.  I
>looked at U and V and they look ok, so I'm puzzled.
>I'm also attaching my .xidv file so you can hopefully
>recreate the problem.

Thanks for finding this bug.  As I noted in my other
e-mail, this issue has been forwarded to SSEC for investigation
as a VisAD bug.  In the meantime, I've put a trial idv.jar
with a patch out at:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/idv/untested/idv.jar

Please download this and install it in your IDV installation
directory.  I suggest you rename the other one to idv.bad or
something instead of overwriting the old one.  I believe
you installed it in c:/Program Files/IDV1.1b3, so that is
where you'll find the old one.

This has not been rigorously tested (except on the bundle
you sent me), so I can't make guarantees about bugs.  But
I only changed one class (famous last words), so the only
thing that would break are vector plots.  If it breaks,
just back out by using the old idv.jar file.  Since I'm going
to be away for a week, I just wanted you to know I haven't
given up and give you some hope.

Let me know if you find any problems with this fix.

Now I have a new beta tester. ;-)

Don Murray