20040609: how to display dBz value using IDV ?

>From: Narayanan Govindan Kasi <address@hidden>

Hi Narayanan-

>                      I am Narayanan,a student working on SEAWINDS project in
>University of Kansas.We are making use of your software to display the
>reflectivity of one particular region.I would like to know if there is some
>way of displaying the dBz values for each location(as of now we are able to
>find out the dBz range only by manually mapping the color of the image with
>the color map provided with the Image)

You could use the Data Probe to show a value readout for the data.  If
you want exact data values, you should set the probe sampling mode to
be Nearest Neighbor instead of Weighted Average.  You can change this
preference globally using the Edit->Resources->User Preferences menu
(under the General Tab).

>     We are making use of the color map which ranges from 0 to 80 dBz.I would
>like to know how values greater than 80dBz or less than 0 dBz are displayed in
>the Image.

Any value outside the range of the color table will be displayed in the
same color as the color table at that end of the range.  So for example
any values below zero will be displayed as black.  You could create
a new color table or change the range of the existing color table to
display values outside the default range.

Don Murray