20040608: IDV - Linux - Sounding error in mantle data

>From: "Andy Wahr" <address@hidden>

Hi Andy-

>Institution: UNAVCO
>Package Version: 1.1b3
>Operating System: Linux
>Hardware Information: Intel 4
>Inquiry: I'm working on a data set for a project called geon (I'm working out
> of UNAVCO) doing some mantle data displays.  I've created a .cdl file (map3.c
> dl attachment) with my data, then I ran ncgen on it (resulting in the map3.nc
>  attachment) which works fine.  When I try to load it into the IDV I get an e
> rror:
>
>Error creating data source:file.track with:/home/wahr/map3.nc
>
>The console message is:
>
>problem opening file visad.VisADException: Unable to create sounding visad.Uni
> tException: Attempt to convert from unit "rad" to unit "s"
>
>I do not have any sounding data (like I said it's all within the Earth) and th
> e entire cdl file does not contain the three letter combination "rad", much l
> ess a unit of one.  I've tried playing around with all of the units in the fi
> le as well as some of the other attributes and I haven't been able to solve i
> t, or even change the message.  Do you have any idea why it wont accept the d
> ata?

The IDV uses a file pattern matching algorithm for determining the
data type.  It works in most cases, but as you note, not for yours.
In this case, your file name pattern matches the one for track files
(the p3 matches the filename for P3 aircraft tracks).

The quick solution is to set the type from the Data source type: to
be Netcdf grid files instead of using the default.

Alternatively, you could change the file name. ;-)

>Thanks.
>
>[NOTE: I've used this IDV before with other data, and it worked fine, also, I
> know that the data in the CDL file is good, if that makes any difference.]

Don Murray