Re: 20040526:java.lang.outofmemory exception - IDV

> This is karthik from western Michigan University ( For Dr Cutrim ).
>
> We have The latest beta version of the IDV installed on all our PCs
> here.
>
> Iam currently working on a system with the following configuration:
>
> Dell OPTIPLEX , P4 2.8 Ghz , 2.00 GB RAM , 40GB HDD. and the OS : XP
> Pro.
> Iam getting this "java.lang.outofmemory" - Exception a number of
> times, when I create more than a couple of images. Once this occurs,
> then on , none of the images are getting diaplyed.

[...]

Hi Karthik,

How are you running the IDV? Through  webstart or through the local
installanywhere installation?

The maximium amount of memory that the Java runtime uses is not
necessarily the physical memory of the machine.  Rather, it is set
at the command line with the -Xmx argument, e.g.:
java -Xmx512 ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv
allows Java to allocate up to 512 megabytes.

If you are running with the run.bat or run.sh script from
installanywhere this should be set to 512M. Some imagery
can have major impacts on memory usage. You might try to
cange the -Xmx512 to -Xmx1024 and see if that fixes the problem.

-Jeff McWhirter