Re: 20040302: IDV data probe visibility

Hi Don,

> >One approach is take the Data obejct for the probe, call it
> >probe_data, and put it a Tuple (probe_data, z) and replace
> >the ConstantMap to ZAxis with a ScalarMap z -> ZAxis. Can
> >this work for you?
>
> I'll have to ponder this.  The probe is acutally a shape, but
> I don't see why this wouldn't work.  Of course, then I'd have
> to implement all the listener code as well. ;-)

There still must be some data object associated with this
shape, even if it is tricial. Whatever it is, its probe_data.

> >Changing DisplayImpl.removeMap() fills me with fear.
>
> The stuff for ScalarMaps works fine.  It was just the
> section on ConstantMaps.  I'm assuming that this needs
> to be done because Display ConstantMaps can affect all
> data depictions.  I'm just wondering if for ConstantMaps
> that are associated with just a DataReference whether this
> is the same logic that gets executed (or needs to be).

Yes, that occurred to me this AM that you don't really
call DisplayImpl.removeMap() to change a ConstantMap
associated with a DataReference - you just call
removeReference() and then addReference(). I think the
ScalarMap z -> ZAxis approach will be far easier than
digging into the VisAD display logic.

Good luck,
Bill