20040303: IDV data probe visibility

>From: Bill Hibbard <address@hidden>

Hi Bill-

>> >One approach is take the Data obejct for the probe, call it
>> >probe_data, and put it a Tuple (probe_data, z) and replace
>> >the ConstantMap to ZAxis with a ScalarMap z -> ZAxis. Can
>> >this work for you?
>>
>> I'll have to ponder this.  The probe is acutally a shape, but
>> I don't see why this wouldn't work.  Of course, then I'd have
>> to implement all the listener code as well. ;-)
>
>There still must be some data object associated with this
>shape, even if it is tricial. Whatever it is, its probe_data.

Yes, I understand that.  Okay, so I tried to implement this, but
I get "null: DirectManipulationRendererJ3D.doTransform" showing
up in the screen and no probe.  Looking at the source of
this, it looks like DataRenderer.reCheckDirect() does not
handle a Tuple for direct manipulation.  Is this correct?

>Yes, that occurred to me this AM that you don't really
>call DisplayImpl.removeMap() to change a ConstantMap
>associated with a DataReference - you just call
>removeReference() and then addReference(). I think the
>ScalarMap z -> ZAxis approach will be far easier than
>digging into the VisAD display logic.

If I can manipulate a Tuple. ;-)

Don