20031120: IDV linux questions

Subject: Re: IDV linux questions
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:46:08 -0700
From: Don Murray <address@hidden>
To: Molenar, Deb <address@hidden>

Hi Deb-

Molenar, Deb wrote:

Hope you have had a chance to slow down after all the intensity.

I took last Friday off and didn't bring my laptop home on the weekend
for the first time in 2 months.  Spent the time catching up with
my family which was really nice.

Thanks again for the great training session.  I think it would be great to
have you come up and give a presentation here once we've had a chance to
play around with IDV a little more.

Sounds good.  Glad you enjoyed the class.

What are the long term plans for IDV (and other Unidata products) on Linux now that Red Had is moving to Enterprise? I know McIDAS is planning on supporting that platform, but don't know how many other vendors will.

We have no plans to stop supporting Linux as long as we
can get versions of Java and Java 3D.  I think Sun is jumping
on the Linux bandwagon, so I expect they will continue producing
versions of Java for that platform.  Java 3D development has
halted, but the latest version should work for a while until
we can move VisAD/IDV to it's replacement.  I suspect Sun
or the Linux community will provide Linux ports of the JOGL
(Java for OpenGL) API which is what will replace Java 3D since
it is going to be used in the gaming community.

It was good seeing you again and catching up.  I hope you'll
find that IDV can be used up there in some fashion.

Don