Re: 20030919: IDV questions

Dr. Harnack,

Yes when you use File->Save As you are saving configuration which
includes how to connect to the data source, but not the data itself. The
saved information is called a bundle file and you can read more in the
online manual at
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_bundles.html

display by reading data from the data source, if the IDV user can
connect to that data source.

To save model output for future use, save a netCDF file of the output on
a local disk you have access to. Many users get model output files using
the Unidata LDM data supply and using the gribtonc converter to convert
to netCDF. The IDV does not yet read GRIB files but we plan to add that
feature.

To choose pressure level for a plan view display, use the display
controls obtained by:

on the legend line under the display do a right click to see the popup
menus. Choose Preferences. The display control window for that display
will popup. Use the level selector box to choose the level.
See
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_generalcontrols.html#legends
and
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_planviewControl.html

I see that the User Guide is poorly written to answer this important
question.  We will release a new version of the IDV in a few weeks and I
will se that the access and use of the display controls  is much more
obvious. Thnaks for pointing this out.

Stuart Wier

> >Subject: Fwd: IDV questions
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Robert Harnack <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri Sep 19, 2003  2:22:26  PM America/Denver
> > To: address@hidden
> > Subject: IDV questions
> >
> > Hi again,
> >
> > After experimenting with IDV there a few questions that have not been
> > able to answer from the menus or the documentation:
> >
> > 1. When I 'save' a set of data such as gridded model output I noticed
> > that the file stored on my PC is fairly small < 1 mb). So am I
> > actually storing the gridded data locally or am I only saving a
> > configuration and settings, but the model data is still stored on your
> > end then retrieved as needed when a user requests a display of the
> > data? I need to be sure I am saving the model output for future use in
> > a class assignment.
> >
> > 2. How does one select a specific pressure level for display? I do not
> > find any place to specify this.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >

> > Dr. Robert Harnack
> > Professor of Meteorology
> > Curriculum Coordinator
> >
> > email: address@hidden
> > phone: 732-932-9841

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service