20030806: Metapps question (cont.)

To: address@hidden
From: Jason Burks <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20030801: Metapps question

Hi Jason-

Thanks Don,
First I was writing a program to plot all of the soundings for every day we
have had tornadoes since 1946. Then secondly I am trying to learn more about
metapps and visad so that I can use it in many different situations. Why is the
J2D display so much slower than the J3D display when displaying shapefiles?

The rendering of large map outlines in Java 2D is a problem in VisAD.  The
"solution" is to use Java 3D in 2D mode (if you want a 2D display) which
provides much better performance.  This is also true of curved images
(i.e. satellite pics).

Don
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support