20030712: Fix: Remove metapps/ucar/unidata/idv/ui/DataControlDialog.java

To: address@hidden
From: "Todd Plessel" <address@hidden>
Subject: Fix: Remove metapps/ucar/unidata/idv/ui/DataControlDialog.java

Hi Todd-

I just renamed the redundant DataControlDialog.java in ui/
so the one above (../) would be used and it worked.

Sorry about that. We moved DataControlDialog into ui so you should
actually use the one there instead.  When we were in beta mode,
we were more likely to move things to "correct" packages, but
should not have moved that after the official 1.0 release.

Attached is the modified Convention.java and M3IOVGGridConvention.java
(in the zip file). Please review these and try them with MET_CROSS_2
and see if you experience the problems below.

Thanks.  Please send a MET_CROSS_2 file that I can test with.
The one I had previously has sigma coords.

Also, what platform are you running on and what type of
graphics card are you using.

1. The Color-Shaded Plan View and map do not show when in
parallel projection.

I'll have to have a sample file to test this with.  On my systems
this seems to work.

2. In perspective projection, the Color-Shaded Plan View is lit -
making the surface too dark when viewed at an incline. Is there a
way to turn-off shading so all rendering is fully lit from every
viewing angle?

I notice this with color filled contours and with the color
shaded plan view only when the display is shaded.  This indicates
a difference between the textured views and the non-textured
displays.  I'll have to delve into this a bit before I have
a real answer.

3. The surface rendering has drop-outs when viewed from certain angles.
See attached image.

My first thought was that this was a problem with clipping, but
since your map extends outside the box, you must not be clipping.
Have you changed the vertical scale on your display?  If so, what
is it set to?  If you have it set to a small range, it could be that
the surface is being rendered outside the range.

4. Why does the grid bounding box appear to extend below the surface (map)?

5. Is there a way to eliminate/control/reveal the vertical exaggeration?

Yes.  Under the View/Viewpoint/Vertical Scale... menu, the dialog
box allows you to set the vertical extents.  What are these set
to in your display?  There was a bug that I just fixed that if you
brought up the IDV in a 2D mode, saved a default bundle, and then
brought it up in a 3D mode, then the scaling was set to -0.5 to 0.5
meters. The solution is to remove the default bundle and make it again.

6. Is there a way to get the date/time to appear in the image?

Under the View menu, you can click on the Show animation readout
checkbox and the times will appear in the display.  If you want
this as a permanent preference, use the preference editor under
Edit/User preferences and under the Map Display tab, click
on the "Show times in display" checkbox.  The next time you start
the IDV or open a new display window, this preference will be used.
The label in the View menu and the preferences editor used to both
say "Show times in display" and that got changed (and not caught)
in the last release.  It will be consistent in a future release.

BTW, I'm going to be gone on vacation for two weeks starting
tomorrow (7/16-7/30).  I'm cc'ing Stu Wier and Jeff McWhirter
(the other IDV developers) on this.  Send any questions/files
to address@hidden and it will be farmed out to them
in my absense.

Don
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support