20030714: Couple of IDV radar questions

Woody,

It's great you are making 3D grids for Level II data; that would allow
the IDV to use all 3D displays and tools. Vertical cross sections of
Level II data at any position are something we want to add to the IDV in
future, but a 3D data grid would allow you to do it now.

The file you sent is for NUWG conventions. There are omissions in the
naviagation. See
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/NUWG/gridsum.html, Special
Topics: (3) Navigation. There is no "nav_model" (though this may default
to nav_model = "GRIB1" ;), and some
navigation variables such as
        char origin_name(namelen) ;
        char process_name(namelen) ;
        char grid_name(namelen) ;
        char earth_shape(namelen) ;
should be dimensioned by the "nav" dimension:
        char origin_name(nav, namelen) ;

I am learning the NUWG convention myself and this may not be all that is
needed. Both our best help on this matter are on vacation, but the nav
addition may do the trick.

I am working on making the IDV a good tool to use with Level II data.
What do you want to do with Level II data?  What can the IDV do better
to meet the needs of your work?  Please tell me any ideas you have to
make the IDV a strong Level II viewer.

To see Level II data in 3D at a reasonable vertical scale, before you
create the display do the menu choice Maps->Reset the projection with
new data. You probably are doing this already.

The IDV has a choice of radar color tables. You can revise color tables,
make new ones, and share color tables with other IDV users. If you come
up with special ones for Level II data we could include them in the IDV
system color tables.

Cheers,

Stu

> I've attached a Cartesian radar volume we generated here in netCDF
  format.  I get an "Unable to create data source for the file......"
when I try
  to select it using "Files/URLs" selection option and either "all
files" or
  "Netcdf files" options.  Any suggestions?

  Thanks for your help,

  Woody Roberts, FSL
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service