IDV and CF files

Richard,

Thanks very much for putting me in the big picture. Since there is a
potential huge community (until now unknown to me) who could use the IDV
if it can use dimensionless vertical coordinates, there is very good
reason to enhance the IDV to do so. I will send your message to several
others here and urge that we move ahead on this.  Unidata is the home of
both  netCDF and the IDV and we certainly intend for them to be as fully
inter-operable as possible. But the IDV is brand new and not complete
yet, with the first official release less than 3 weeks ago.

We do want the IDV to move beyond the meteorology community, and be a
general support for Earth sciences. Programs working in European
atmospheric pollution, and in mantle convection, are considering the IDV
as well.

A new version of the IDV will be released this month and the documents
will be revised of course, both in the Known Bugs section and in the
suitable data formats section.

Some IDV news that might interest you is that the IDV will soon be able
to read most shapefiles so you can load in your own maps.

I will let you know of progress in the dimensionless vertical coordinate
matter.

Stu Wier

> Ah.  Really too bad.
>
> I hope adding the abilitiy to handle the CF-Convention
> dimensionless vertical coordinate is added soon,
> since virtually all coastal ocean models
> have sigma, s or hybrid coordinates.   Of course it is possible to
> create extra netcdf files with z-level coordinates via interpolation,
> but
> with a needless waste of disk space and, more importantly, loss of
> information.
>
> As soon as this happens, I think there will be a huge number of
> IDV fans from the Oceangoraphic Community.  I briefed the Woods Hole
> Scientific Visualization Committee last week on IDV, and they
> were very jazzed when I told them about handling any CF compliant
> file.  Oops.  I'll have to issue a retraction.  Will the documentation
> be changed to reflect this limitation on the web pages?  Perhaps
> "known bugs/problems" would be a good place?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rich
>
> --
> Dr. Richard P. Signell                 |  address@hidden
> NATO/SACLANT Undersea Research Centre  |    Tel: (+39) 0187 527 381
> Viale San Bartolomeo 400               |    Fax: (+39) 0187 527 331
> 19138 La Spezia, ITALY  --> From USA/CANADA, use: APO AE 09613-5000

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service