Re: 20030630: IDV - windows 98 - research project, help

Robert,

The IDV is not yet a tool for this job.  We do get requests to add a
feature to write data, read from remote servers, into local files.
However the IDV does not have this yet. And as you note, revising the
code yourself would not be simple.

In the VisAD SpreadSheet (http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/visad.html,
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~curtis/ss.html), you can output the data into
a netCDF file, but what you get is (line, element) -> value grids, not
mapped with latitude and longtiude, which is what I suppose you need. If
you can figure out the line, element of the locations you want, this
might do it.

I recently heard a talk by Scott Shipley about merging met data with GIS
software.  He may be able to help you. See
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/events/2003ExpandingHorizons/abstracts.html#shipley.
Don Murray here suggests that Daryl Herzmann at Iowa State may be able
to help.

Stuart Wier

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: "Robert Finley Stone" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: IDV - windows 98 - research project, help
>
> Institution: Luther College
> Package Version: newest
> Operating System: windows 98
> Hardware Information: sufficient
> Inquiry: I am a student at Luther College in Decorah Iowa, and I am working
> on a research project this summer about the Upper Iowa River watershed, and
> rainfall runoff specificly.  My part of the project is to take radar data
> (NEXRAD level III 1-hr prec totals) and turn it into input for the rest of
> our project.
>
> I got word from a professor at Iowa about he Unidata website and the IDV
> viewer, downloaded it and have been playing around with it.
>
> For the project I was hoping to make use of some parts of the open source
> code, simplifiying it, to extract the 1-hr prec totals for the ARX station in
> LaCross Wisconsin (just data...no picture if possible).  However, there seems
> to be aprox. eleventy billion java files of source code, since IDV is so
> versitile.
>
> I was hoping that there might be someone slightly familiar with the code that
> could point me towards the right java files to look through, so that I might
> save a little bit of time as I look through the files.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Robert Stone
> Luther College '04
>
> ------- End of Forwarded Message

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service