Re: IDV-compatible NetCDF files

Rich,

The IDV should be able to read CF convention netCDF grid files.
I know of one organization using the IDV with CF 1.0 convention files -
http://www.emep.int/

Since Unidata is the home of both the IDV and netCDF, and since both
have
active ongoing development, and since they are supposed to work
together, if
you try this and then hit a snag in our software, we will want to fix
the problem,
and I expect we will be able to do so. The IDV is supposed to be able to
read
any CF convention netCDF grid file.

Stu

> Stuart,
>
> Well, actually I do have one question.
>
> I have a 4D netcdf file from the ocean model
> I'm running (ROMS).  The data doesn't use any
> specific convention, but I can't make it COARDS
> compatible because the lon,lat variables are 2D,
> not 1D (it's a general orthogonal curvilinear
> grid, not uniform spaced lon/lat or other simple
> projection).
>
> I could go to some effort of making these files
> CF compliant (CF is flexible to not only handle
> the 2D lon/lat variables, but also compute the
> vertical coordinate as a function of sigma and
> other parameters in the Netcdf file.
>
> But before I do this, do you know whether IDV
> can handle this type of data (without regridding?)
> I guess I'm asking whether CF compliance is good
> enough to guarantee IDV compliance, or whether
> IDV is more restrictive.  I couldn't figure this
> out from reading the users guide.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich
>
> =====
> Rich Signell
> work: address@hidden
> home: address@hidden

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service