20030619: question on IDV capabilities

From: Robert Harnack <address@hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 18, 2003  2:19:51  PM America/Denver
To: address@hidden
Subject: question on IDV capabilities

Robert-

I am considering using IDV, but I have a question regarding its capabilities. Can it be used to do user requested overlays such as:

1. putting one contoured field over another

Yes. You can overlay any number of parameters on top of each
other as contours, isosurfaces, color filled contours, etc.

2. putting plots or isopleths onto satellite/radar images

Do you mean derived from the images themselves of plots of
different data on top of sat/radar images.  The former is possible
to some degree, but the latter can definitely be done.  You can
overlay model data on top of sat/radar images, and/or plot surface
data on them

Also can the user specify a limit on the contours display such as requesting CAPE at 200 unit intervals for values of 500 and above > ONLY?

Yes.  The IDV has a contour control widget in which you can specify
the min, max, interval and base (value from which contours are
incremented, e.g., base of 1000 with interval 4 would give
contours of ..., 996, 1000, 1004, 1008, ....., whereas base of
1001 with interval 4 would give ..., 997, 1001, 1005, 1009, ....)
For a particular variable, you can preset this using the parameter
defaults editor and you can also change it on the fly.

I've attached a JPEG image captured from the IDV which shows
color/filled contours of CAPE from the RUC2 (40km grid), with
sea level pressure contours from the RUC 80km and station
model plots of surface data from 20Z today. CAPE contours start
at 500 and are contoured every 500 (200 was pretty messy).

Don Murray
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support

JPEG image