20030618: IDV download (fwd)

From: "Binbin Zhou" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 7:38 AM
Subject: IDV download

Hi Binbin-

   I am trying to download IDV files. But when I download JAR archive
files, meet "security check failed" problem, while download zip files
OK. How to solve this problem?

This is a problem with older versions of NetScape that tries to
execute the JAR file after downloading.  Since I no longer have
an old version to test on, you could check your preferences and
see if there is some setting to turn this off.  Alternatively,
you could get the files directly from:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/metapps

and use the Save as.. feature from the popup menu that you
get by right clicking on the link for the particular file.

  Another question is most of my colleagues at EMC/NOAA (Environmental
Model Center) are using  Linux but without  java enviroment and with
Netscape-only 4 version.  So they can't use Java Web Start, although I
already personally have Java1.4.  We have to contact our system adm to
deal with it.

You could try the InstallAnywhere versions of the IDV instead of
WebStart.  See the "Downloading and Running the IDV" section of the
IDV User's Guide at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_starting.html

for more information on getting that version.   You can get it
at the ftp link above as well.

  I am a NCEP guy and try to use IDV for displaying/creating image from
NCEP eta model output data.  The output data currently stored as GRIB
format. But GRIB is not mentioned in the IDV user manual. I am not sure
if GRIB format data file can be displayed by IDV. Could you please
make me clear? Thanks.

The IDV does not read native GRIB files yet.  You would
have to either convert them to netCDF or Vis5D to read them
into the IDV.

Don Murray
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support