Re: 20030501: IDV Local satellite file question

Steven,

> Is there anything 'special' about local McIDAS Area files
> that needs to be configured for IDV to load them?  I'm trying
> to get IDV to load some files we generate locally, and a) they
> don't show up unless I select "All Files" in the browser, and b)
> when I select a file and click Open, nothing shows up in the
> Data Selector.

The IDV recognizes McIDAS AREA files by the special filenames. Without a
recognized kind of file name, the IDV doesn't know what kind of file it
is dealing with.

We have a solution for you that is not elegant but will work.

You need to be running the IDV using the InstallAnywhere installer file
described in
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_starting.html,
not using Web Start. This lets you get closer to the code. More about
this in a minute.

Make a new file called for example myidv.properties  having one line:

application.resource.datasource = /home/IDV_1.0b6/mydatasources.xml

and make the corresponding new file /home/IDV_1.0b6/mydatasources.xml
having these lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<datasources>
   <datasource id="FILE.MYAREAFILE"
               factory="ucar.unidata.data.imagery.McIDASImageDataSource"
               patterns="moll*,AREA....$"
               fileselection="true"
               label="local McIDAS AREA files">
   </datasource>
</datasources>

the file names can be what you like of course.

Put these two files in the directory where you run the IDV from the
installer, the same place as the installer placed the runIDV file
(Linux) or runIDV.bat (Windows), such as /home/IDV_1.0b6/.

The "patterns" item tells the IDV the filename patterns which it will
recognize and process as McIDAS area files. In this example the usual
files beginning with AREA, and also files beginning with moll.
You can add more comma-separated patterns.

Take the contents of runIDV
jre/bin/java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar

and use it as a command to start the IDV, with this extra argument:
jre/bin/java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar -properties
/home/IDV_1.0b6/myidv.properties

Now the IDV should read your local McIDAS files with your local names
ok.

Stuart Wier

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service