Re: 20030501: IDV - refresh Web Start

Charlie,

> I got the beta 6 and barely tried it on my desktop.
> I like that the data selection is in an integrated panel,
> also the use of the term "fields" will be very helpful particularly
> to students - much better and more intuitive for what is
> going on in the data selection process.
>
> Radar in dbz - thank you.

Glad you like the new data selection and radar units!

> Problem: I loaded this on to my laptop also - but when it
> starts no display area opens up.  I loaded some radar data -
> it went through the process but no display.

This is a new bug!  The question then is, is this on Windows (what
version) or Linux? Did you start it with Web Start? (I guess so)

> Anyway I'm thinking I should get IDV from scratch - brand new.
> What is the best way to do that in WebStart.

Good idea, especially for your laptop. It's easy. You need the Web Start
Application Manager.  Go to
http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/demos.html, and find the Web
Start "Application Manager" on that page. Start the  "Application
Manager" by clicking on the "Launch" button. You should see IDV
applications in the Application Manager's panel after you have installed
those applications with Web Start. You can use the Application Manager
to start applications without going to the Unidata web page Web Start
link, or remove them to force a complete new download next time you
start the IDV with the Unidata web page Web Start link.

When you run the Application Manager it will have a panel showing
"Integrated Data Viewer" with an icon. Click to select and it will
highlight; it may already be selected. Use the menu choice
Application->Remove Application. The IDV item will go away. Reload the
IDV from the Unidata web site.

You can keep the Application Manager running as long as you like. While
you have it open, use the menu choice File -> Preferences -> java and
find what Java "Product version" you have and please send it to us if
yher problem repeats.

Let me know if no display window appears again.

Of course we what to hear any thoughts you have about the IDV, and I am
I interested in how the radar-based rainfall estimate works.

Cheers

Stu

> --
> Charles H. Murphy
> Chairperson, Department of Geology & Meteorology
> Kean University
> 1000 Morris Avenue
> Union, NJ 07083-0411
> ph. 908-737-3687
> fax: 908-737-3699
> email: address@hidden
> web: http://hurri.kean.edu

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service