20030430:Compiling IDV "make javadocs"

To: address@hidden
From: John McCormick <mccormik@localhost.localdomain>

John-

I'm in the process of "getting acquainted" with the "internal activity" o=
f IDV=20
so that I may be able to better come up with a "potential converter" for=20
establishing (in addition) to the IDV system for reading the "mio3" and=20
"ioapi" files that EPA has (which IDV does not "accommodate" (or read) in=
 a=20
way that may be graphed ....  =20

Okay.

And in the "long run" my aim is to know what IDV "likes to have"=20
(information-wise) handed to it and what format or variablenames... That =
way,=20
I'll be able to look at an "m3io" file (say), and say ...."Oh,... this nu=
mber=20
goes here and this array can go there".... Knowing this information will=20
enable me to write a java program to get the tech. information from these=
=20
other files to where they're supposed to go.... I really don't have (or k=
now)=20
of any "internal" documentation available that describes this "input" lay=
out=20
(so to speak) that is handed to IDV from various types of files (includin=
g=20
RADAR, GRIDDED and POINT DATA files)... I guess you'd say that I have a=20
theory that all of these different types of files are re-arranged into a=20
"common" format that IDV "likes" ..... Is that a valid assumption??? um..=
=2E.=20
(thinking)..................

Yes.  In the end, you need to create a VisAD Data object of some
form that the IDV likes.  There is preliminary developer documentation
in the metapps/ucar/unidata/apps/example/docs/index.html file of
the source distribution.  This still needs a lot of work, but might
give you enough of the basics.

Anyhow, about the compile log.........................

I have attempted to manually compile your IDV system from the makefile=20
(filename=3D "Makefile")...=20

Don't use "make", use Ant instead as per my earlier message.  Also,
the latest (with the paragraph about needing Java and Java 3D included)
can now be found at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_sourcebuild.html

It also says "don't use make". ;-)

With Ant, you can run "ant javadoc" which will put the javadocs in
the metapps/doc directory.

I noticed that I've been getting quite a bit of error messages because of=
 the=20
compile (Makefile) not finding the following directory:=20
                   "dods.dap"

I'm not sure what I should do in that case but I noticed that many of the=
=20
programs (.java) that it's looking for are in "dods" (rather than=20
"dods.dap")..

I thought I'd run that by you for your comments .....=20

Use Ant.  We no longer support make.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm