Re: 20030320: IDV and sigma coordinates

Mr. Iskenderian,

I am glad you are trying to use the IDV to view CDC data.

I suppose you are getting the CDC data
from the catalog http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/THREDDS/catalog.xml

Unfortunately the IDV cannot yet handle sigma vertical
coordinates.

You might be interested in the latest version
of the IDV, beta 5. Download it according to the instructions in
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/metapps/idv_help/IDV_starting.html
If you are using Java Web Start to get and run the IDV
all you need to do is click on the button at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/metapps/webstart/IDV/

We only realized we could view CDC data with the
IDV in the past month. The IDV was not designed with
sigma coordinates in mind, but if there is enough interest
we should do that.  Please tell others who want this in the
IDV to let us know.  I will let you know as soon as we do so,
but it might be quite a while.

Stuart Wier

303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/