20030320: Integrated Data Viewer (IDV) problems

>From: Hans-Juergen Panitz <address@hidden>

Hi-

>I downloaded the IDV in order to display NetCDF data (NCEP/NCAR reanalysis
>data).
>Java Web Start Ver. 1.01_02 (build b03) is installed on my PC (OS: Windows 200
> 0
>Professional).
>When I start IDV I get two error messages:
>
>1:
>an exception has occurred in getViewManager Canvas3d: null Graphics
>configuration

This would indicate a problem with either the PC card not supporting
OpenGL or some problem with the distribution.  What is the
link you are pointing at to start the IDV?

What graphics card do you have?  Does it support OpenGL?  OpenGL
is necessary for Java 3D.

>2:
>an exception has occurred initializing the GUI null
>
>What do these errors mean and what actions are required?
>
>Despite these error messages the
>IDV Data sources and helptips windows are opened.
>It is alslo possible to add new data sources.
>IDV recognizes the NetCDF files and is able to open them and to identify which
>data are in the file.

What you are missing is the main display window.  The fact that you
can read in the netCDF file is encouraging.  The IDV only handles
netCDF files that follow certain conventions.

>But of course I can't display the data. Trying it, the same errors occurr as
>described above.

Don Murray