[LDM #VBI-508834]: Acquiring LIGHTNING/NLDN data on new server

Hi,

re:
> Today, I have been working to add the LIGHTNING/NLDN data to my “new” server
> (Jan 2020).
>
> I added the following line to the ldmd.conf
>
> request         LIGHTNING  ".*”                 idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
> I have also tried using NLDN instead of LIGHTNING and
> striker.atmos.albany.edu instead
> of idd.unidata.ucar.edu as this is what our exiting server uses.

The IDD LIGHTNING feed (AKA NLDN) is only available as a point-to-point
feed from the source of the data, UAlbany.  The machine that provides
the feed is as is set in you existing servers LDM configuration file,
striker.atmos.albany.edu.

Since the LIGHTNING data is proprietary, new sites or existing sites
that are bringing up the LDM on new machines must contact folks at
UAlbany to ask them to an appropriate ALLOW in their LDM configuration
file so that the new machine will be allowed to REQUEST the feed.  The
contact information for LIGHTNING feed REQUESTs at UAlbany is:

address@hidden

You may also want to CC Kevin Tyle on your request email:

Kevin Tyle <address@hidden>

re:
> Anyway, I have not received the data, and am only getting this following in
> my log.
>
> 20200824T140519.961442Z idd.unidata.ucar.edu[19259] requester6.c:req6_new:588
>           NOTE  LDM-6 desired product-class: 20200824130519.961407 TS_ENDT
> {{LIGHTNING, ".*"}}
> 20200824T140520.061247Z idd.unidata.ucar.edu[19259] error.c:err_log:236
>           NOTE  Upstream LDM didn't reply to FEEDME request; RPC:
> Authentication error; why = (authentication error 5)

It is not permissible to relay the LIGHTNING feed outside of one's institution,
so our top level IDD relay clusters, idd.unidata.ucar.edu and
iddb.unidata.ucar.edu,
are not allowed to send this feed to anyone.

re:
> Can you please help me understand what my issue is?

You should revert your LIGHTNING feed REQUEST on your new machine to point
at the UAlbany upstream, striker.atmos.albany.edu.  After the folks at
UAlbany get your feed request email, they should add the needed ALLOW
reasonably quickly, and data should start to flow.

Ticket ID: VBI-508834
Department: Support IDD