[IDD #TAI-164591]: 20190418: splitting feed REQUESTs

Hi Art,

re:
> I originally used the creation seconds to do the split, but then decided that
> tenths of
> seconds might be better.  Of course, the trick is to try and use something
> random.

If the products were all more-or-less the same size, then I would agree that
using something random would be best.  Because of the major difference in
product sizes, I think a different approach is called for.

re:
> The
> 2-way below is probably safer because it can never miss data no matter how
> the feed might
> change.  The second way assumes digits must occur in that 4th place from the
> end.  I
> should probably tweak it by adding a [^0-9] line or something as well.
> Here's the
> section in my ldmd.conf:
>

> # Split feed into two streams assuming products ending like
> "yyyyjjjhhmmsss.nc".
> # We split based on the tenths of seconds of generation.
>
> # 2-way split
> #request        SATELLITE "[02468]...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> #request        SATELLITE "[^02468]...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
> # 10-way split
> request SATELLITE "0...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "1...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "2...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "3...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "4...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "5...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "6...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "7...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "8...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> request SATELLITE "9...$" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

Thanks.  The approach taken by ERAU was much different, and it is having
the effect of dropping latencies to near-zero values:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?DIFAX+hurricane.db.erau.edu

I'll share what I get back from ERAU if your are interested...

Thanks for the quick response!

Ticket ID: TAI-164591
Department: Support IDD