[IDD #DSZ-422019]: Revival of Nat'l Profiler Network

> Mr. Emmerson,

Hi Chris,

> My name is Chris Calvert, a software engineer at the Radar Operations
> Center in Norman, OK, and part of the National Profiler Network (NPN)
> group. We are making preparations to distribute operational NPN data via
> LDM and have a couple questions regarding the feedtype to use.

Apologies for the delayed response, and thank you for reaching out

> NPN will be distributing data in both BUFR and CSV formats, and we are
> considering using a single feedtype for both. Does Unidata have an opinion
> as to whether NPN uses a single feedtype for both or a different feedtype
> for each format?

No real preference other than the uniqueness you mention below.

 Obviously, if we use a single feedtype, the filename
> convention will be such that users can filter for a specific format.

Exactly.

> Does Unidata have an opinion on which specific feedtype(s) NPN uses? FSL2
> seems to make the most sense, but then I found the HRS feedtype associated
> with BUFR-formatted legacy NPN data in your archived support emails from
> the early 2000s. Apparently, HRS is (was?) an alternate name for HDS.

Correct, FSL2 is the legacy "profiler" feed.

We are currently putting the west coast profilers in EXP and have GSD/HRRR on
FSL2, the feedtypes have "loosened" over time. :)

FSL2 will work well for the NPN.

> I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks.
>
> Chris Calvert
> Software Engineer
> Centuria Corporation
> WSR-88D Radar Operations Center