[LDM #IMI-394637]: LDM nimage feed -- no TIGE01 files

Hi Jennifer,

> The LDM VIS satellite feed (nimage*TIGE01) stalled on 8 Jan at 15:15Z. It
> seems
> that is the most recent image date stamp on this site
>
> http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browse2.html
>
> as well. Is this because of some kind of operational transition to GOES-16?

Yes.  GOES-13, which was formerly GOES-East, was turned off yesterday reportedly
at 15:32 Z, and it is now drifting to its new storage location at 60 W.  All
GINI satellite products that were being created from GVAR GOES-East stopped
at the same time, and the NWS has no plans of recreating them from the new
GOES-R GOES-East platform, GOES-16.  We alluded to this change in announcements
we sent out to the address@hidden email list (so if you are not
subscribed to this email list I strongly advise you to subscribe now!).
Yesterday,
we inaugurated the IDD distribution of all of the imagery and products we are
receiving in the GRB (GOES ReBroadcast for GOES-R) in the DIFAX feed.  A new
LDM distribution that should be available in a few days will change the
primary name of the feed from DIFAX to SATELLITE.

I announced an update to our satellite web page:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data -> Satellite Data
  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#satellite

In a post to the address@hidden email list yesterday morning.

The web page available via the SATELLITE (aka DIFAX) link under the LDM
LDM Feedtype column:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/goesr.html

gives a high level overview of the products that are now flowing
and includes example LDM configuration file REQUEST lines and LDM
pattern-action file actions for the data.

re:
> Do you have any good intel?

I have included the status message we received yesterday about the GOES-13
transition at the end of this email.

The replacement for the GOES-East GINI imagery is the tiled GOES-16 imagery
that has been in NOAAPort for almost a year.  These tiles, which we are
distributing in the NOTHER feed, need to be stitched together to make
full scenes.  We developed a Python-based procedure for doing the
stitching and put it in the Unidata section of GitHub.  The name of the
"package" is ldm-alchemy.

The other thing that was added to NOAAPort by the NWS was Level 2 products
from GOES-16.  Those are also being distributed in the NOTHER IDD feed.
Those products are small enough that they are distributed not as tiles,
but, rather, as full images.

We are serving the new NOAAPort and GRB delivered imagery via McIDAS
ADDE and the TDS on one of our motherlode class data servers,
lead.unidata.ucar.edu.  We are also in the process of spinning up
a new implementation of another motherlode class data server,
atm.ucar.edu, that will also have all of the new satellite imagery
that will also be served by McIDAS ADDE and the TDS (and a LOT more).
At some point the new imagery will also be served by AWIPS EDEX also.

Here is the GOES-13 transition message that we received yesterday
(the NWS has been sending updates about this transition for literally
months):

Update #1: GOES-13 GVAR and LRIT were disabled at 1532 UTC on January 8, 2018.
Please see notification below for product transition information.

Topic: GOES-13 to GOES-16 Satellite and Product Transition Information

Date/Time Issued: January 7, 2018  1700 UTC

Product(s) or Data Impacted: All GOES-13 data and products that use GOES-13 data

Date/Time of Initial Impact: January 8, 2018 1532 UTC

Date/Time of Expected End: N/A

Length of Outage: See details below.

Details/Specifics of Change:  On January 8, 2018 at 1532 UTC, GOES-13 GVAR and
LRIT will be disabled and the satellite will begin drifting on January 10th
to its storage location at 60 degrees West.

Once the GOES-13 GVAR data stream is disabled, a number of satellite derived
products using GOES-13 data will be impacted or unavailable. NOAA/NESDIS plans
to produce a set of equivalent products from the new GOES-East satellite
(GOES-16);
however, in some cases legacy products will be degraded or discontinued
entirely as
a result of the loss of GOES-East coverage.  Therefore, all users should review
our
product transition status documentation that outlines those changes and/or
discontinued products. This information is accessible directly via the following
link:
http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Operations/GOES/16/GOES-13toGOES-16_Product_Mapping_Latest.pdf

Additionally, to facilitate user awareness and effectively prepare for the
transition
from GOES-13 to GOES-16 GOES-East operations, the Office of Satellite and
Product
Operations (OSPO) has established the following informational webpage on the
transition:
(http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Operations/GOES/16/transition.html). Users may
reference
this webpage and refer to ESPC notifications for the latest updates on the
transition.

As of 1700 UTC on December 18, 2017, GOES-16 is the official GOES-East satellite
stationed at 75.2 degrees West.

Key points:

    January 8, 2018: GOES-13 will stop transmitting data at 1532 UTC
    January 10, 2018: GOES-13 will begin drift to storage location
    January 31, 2018: GOES-13 will reach storage location at 60 degrees West

Contact Information for Further Information: address@hidden

Web Site(s) for applicable information:
http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Operations/GOES/16/transition.html

This message was sent to address@hidden. You have been sent this and other
notifications because you have opted in to receive it. If for any reason, you
wish to
unsubscribe, please contact ESPC Help Desk at address@hidden or (301) 817-3880.
Please note: it may take up to two business days to process your unsubscribe
request.

Kathryn W. Mozer
GOES-R User Services Coordinator
GOES-R Product Readiness and Operations (PRO) Team
NOAA/NESDIS/OSPO/SPSD
GSFC: Building 6, S240
address@hidden
Office: 301-286-3647