[IDD #PZS-945807]: HRRR data on IDD/LDM

> Hello
Hi Marcelo,

This is Jeff, we met in Tuscaloosa...

> I am contacting you to ask what would be the best way to get HRRR data
> hourly through IDD/LDM. This is for a project lead by CUAHSI (
> https://www.cuahsi.org/NFIE) and  NWS, in which we are planning to run
> NCAR's WRF-Hydro software for the cont US.

Yes, aware of this plan :)

> The parameters we need are
> Incoming Short Wave Radiation (W/m2)
> Incoming Long Wave Radiation (W/m2) (I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT
> AVAILABLE)
> Specific Humidity                (Kg/Kg)
> Air Temperature                  (K)
> Surface Pressure                 (Pa)
> Near surface widn in the u and v components, (m/s)
> Liquid water precipitation       (mm/s)

Marcelo, I suspect that we can derive Long Wave by subtracting short wave from
Net....double checking that net radiation at surface is a parameter, but pretty
sure it is.

> Also I wonder if you have MRMS precipitation data available.

We will have it, NSSL (Nat'l Severe Storms Lab) has brought down the feed for a
bit, we expect it to be back in time for NFIE
spring/summer workshop...I will keep on that schedule and keep you up to date.

> Currently we are using THREDDS service to get the data (
> http://thredds-jumbo.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/grib/HRRR/CONUS_3km/surface/catalog.html);
> however, we understand that GSD THREDDS is an experimental system that can
> change in any moment and we need an operational system to rely on.

Yes, we are getting both the "operational" HRRR (surface fields) via the
IDD/LDM from NCEP
AND the experimental HRRR (all levels) from NOAA ESRL/GSD...this is what is on
thredds-jumbo currently.

I am working on this to insure stability and consistency during the NFIE
campaign, I will have more definitive info as we get into next week re the GSD
HRRR and the NSSL MRMS feeds...

I am in contact with the NOAA people to see if they can freeze modifications
during the NFIE campaign and minimize downtime...

They are currently doing a major post-processing re-do, so hopefully that will
be the last big change for awhile and provide us stability for NFIE.

Cheers,

Jeff

> Thank you,
> --
> --
> Marcelo Somos Valenzuela, Ph.D.
> The University of Texas at Austin
> Environmental and Water Resources Engineering
> Phone: +1-512-657-9017
> Skype: masomos

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support