[IDD #CQQ-768862]: Upgrade ldm

Hi Heather,

re:
> Randy wants me to upgrade the ldm on our noaaport machines.  I  am
> guessing I need to do the same thing on both machines?

The LDM does not need to be upgraded in tandem; newer LDMs are backwardly
compatible with newer versions.

re:
> I have never
> done this before, Martha had always done it in the past.  Is there a
> set of instructions that you can send me?

The best source of information on installing/upgrading an LDM is the
LDM webpages:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software -> LDM
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/

    Documentation
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/

      Installing, Configuring, and Activating the LDM System

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/index.html#installation

Follow the instructions in:

Installing from -> Source code
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/source-install-steps.html

NB:

- you will need 'root' capability to fully install the LDM
- but, do NOT do the LDM installation as 'root', and never
  run the LDM as 'root' !!!!!

The LDM build/install process will ask you for the 'root' password
at two points (or sudo if you don't have 'root'); that is where
the 'root' access is needed.

re:
> Also, we have not upgraded for two years: Martha upgraded to version 6.9.8
> in June of 2011.  I see the latest version is 6.11.6, do we need to do
> an incremental update or can I just update once to the current version?

No, you can upgrade directly.

Note:

The process is to build and install the LDM while the previous version
is still running.  When the build/install is complete (and correct),
one cuts over to the newly built version by stopping the LDM; changing
the runtime link to point to the newly built version; and then starting
(the new) LDM:

<as 'ldm' after the new version has been built and installed>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop
rm runtime && ln -s ldm-6.11.6 runtime
ldmadmin start

The process will be much the same on your machine that is running
the NOAAPort ingest, but you will need to specify the --with_noaaport
option to configure at the first step.

re:
> Thanks, I appreciate your help!

No worries.