[IDD #XEM-791908]: LDM Server and GFS

Hi Reymer,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on getting a feed on
idd.cise-nsf.gov...

re:
> Let me show you some information:
>
> #################
> # About DNS
> #################
>
> $ nslookup poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
> Server:         163.178.88.2
> Address:        163.178.88.2#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
> Address: 163.178.110.222
>
> $ dig @8.8.8.8 poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 <<>> @8.8.8.8
> poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr.     IN      A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr. 86400 IN     A       163.178.110.222
>
> ;; Query time: 536 msec
> ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Apr  4 17:08:58 2011
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 59
>

> $ nslookup cluster.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
> Server:         163.178.88.2
> Address:        163.178.88.2#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   cluster.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
> Address: 200.9.33.37
>
> $ dig @8.8.8.8 cluster.fisica.ucr.ac.cr

The problem is that reverse name lookup is not working.  Here
are the results on the machine we want you to feed from
(idd.cise-nsf.gov):

/local/ldm% nslookup poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
Server:         192.12.209.57
Address:        192.12.209.57#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
Address: 163.178.110.222

/local/ldm% nslookup 163.178.110.222
Server:         192.12.209.57
Address:        192.12.209.57#53

** server can't find 222.110.178.163.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

/local/ldm% nslookup cluster.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
Server:         192.12.209.57
Address:        192.12.209.57#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   cluster.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
Address: 200.9.33.37

/local/ldm% nslookup 200.9.33.37
Server:         192.12.209.57
Address:        192.12.209.57#53

** server can't find 37.33.9.200.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

Is it not possible to work with the UCR network folks to
get both forward and reverse DNS setup for these machines?

re:
> #############
> # ABOUT LDM
> #############
>
> //from poseidon.fisica.ucr.ac.cr (internet1)
>
> $notifyme -v -f ANY -h idd.cise-nsf.gov
>
> //Nothing

OK, this is very surprising because I "hardwired" things on
idd.cise-nsf.gov to recognize poseidon.fisica.ucar.ac.cr.  I
did this by adding an IP <-> name entry in the /etc/hosts
file on idd.cise-nsf.gov, and it is setup to use definitions
in /etc/hosts in preference to those from DNS servers.  Given
this, I expect that you don't actually have a route to idd.cise-nsf.gov.

re:
> //from cluster.fisica.ucr.ac.cr (internet2)
>
> $notifyme -v -f ANY -h idd.cise-nsf.gov
>
> //Nothing

I have not tried to "hardwire" a definition for cluster.fisica.ucr.ac.cr
yet.  I want to make sure that poseidon.fisica.ucar.ac.cr can be setup
to work first.

Ticket ID: XEM-791908
Department: Support IDD