[LDM #LOB-749740]: Acquiring specific data via LDM

Hi Noel,

I apologize for the slow response; we are hosting a week-long
Users Workshop here, and things are a bit hectic...

re:
> I was in communication with support quite a while ago, but the host
> ID that I was going to use is not available.
>
> I just now got the LDM installed on our linux machine, and now I'm
> trying to ingest data.  What is a host id that I can use?  I'm
> looking to ingest Center Weather Advisories and possibly lightning
> data.  Is it idd.unidata.ucar.edu?

You will not be allowed access to lightning data as that data is
restricted:

- no Unidata site is allowed to relay lightning data

- the NLDN lightning data is provided to U.S. universities
  ('.edu's) via point-to-point feed by SUNY Albany

- the USPLN lightning data is being delivered by point-to-point
  feeds from WSI Corporation.  I believe that the WSI will not
  feed a government site this data for free, but you may want
  to contact them directly to see if you can get the data:

  Kim Rauenzahn
  Lightning Product Manager
  address@hidden
  978-983-6648
  www.uspln.com

The weather advisories will be part of the IDS|DDPLUS datastream;
there will be no problem getting them.

> In using that id, I don't get any results (when I use ldmadmin watch)
> with the request of:
>
> WMO ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
> Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

My first guess is that forward and reverse DNS is not available for
your machine.  To test what is happening, please do the following:

<as 'ldm'>
nslookup your_machines_name
nslookup your_machines_ip

If forward and reverse DNS are available, the results for the two
'nslookup's should match one another.  If forward DNS is
available (i.e., name -> IP) but reverse DNS is not available
(i.e., IP -> name) then the ALLOWs that are in place will block
your feed request(s).

The next thing to try (and please send us the output) is:

<as 'ldm'>
notifyme -vl- -f WMO -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

As soon as we have some more information we should be able to
pinpoint why your machine is not able to feed from idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Ticket ID: LOB-749740
Department: Support IDD