Re: 20030610: top level IDD relays needed for NEXRAD Level II data

Tom,

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Unidata Support wrote:

> >From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>
>
> Hi,
>
> As you may know, the NWS will soon begin collecting and distributing
> NEXRAD Level II using the Unidata LDM-6.  The NWS effort is the
> outgrowth of the CRAFT experiment that has and continues to be run by
> the University of Oklahoma (Droegemeier, et. al.).
>
> Part of the agreement between the NWS and the UPC allows for the
> redistribution of all of the Level II data to interested universities,
> but this distribution will need to be done by the UPC and cooperating
> universities through the IDD.
>
> Currently, the Level II volume scan data for between 55 to 61 NEXRADs
> is available through the CRAFT IDD feed.  Time series plots of the
> data volume for this feed can be seen in the CRAFT link located in the
> real time statistics page for thelma.ucar.edu:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/rtstats/siteindex.shtml?thelma.ucar.edu
>
> As you will see when you visit the above web page, the volume of data
> currently peaks at around 140 MB per hour.  When the full complement of
> NEXRAD Level II data is incorporated into the NWS stream (which we will
> still refer to as CRAFT for IDD purposes), the total volume will climb
> to at least two to four times what is currently available.  Moreover,
> the data volume will likely increase by an additional factor of four to
> eight in the future.  For comparison, the full CONDUIT IDD stream peaks
> at between 1.8 and 2.0 GB per hour.

If my math is right, that would be a peak of 1120 MB/hr to 4480 MB/hr,
projecting it into the future, which is quite a range.  If one assumes the
worst case, that's more than twice the current CONDUIT peak.  Also, the
CONDUIT feed has busy and quiet times during the day, whereas the NEXRAD
II stream (I assume) would be more continuous all day, leading to a much
larger data flow per day.  Is there any way you can be a bit more specific
about the rates and, especially, the per-day amount of data that would
have to be handled?

                                 Thanks.

                                   Art.

> Since most of you have expressed an interest in the Level II data, and
> since a number of you have indicated some level of interest in playing
> an active role in relaying some or all of the data, we are soliciting
> your help in establishing top level nodes for the NEXRAD Level II
> redistribution.
>
> Are you willing to help?  Please let us know!
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Tom Yoksas
> **************************************************************************** <
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
> (303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
> Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <

Arthur A. Person
Research Assistant, System Administrator
Penn State Department of Meteorology
email:  address@hidden, phone:  814-863-1563