20030611: top level IDD relays needed for NEXRAD Level II data (cont.)

>From:  Linda Miller <address@hidden>

Linda,

>Part of the deal of working with these sites using the Level II data, is to
>utilize sites on Internet2.  That's why Guy Almes has been so interested in
>this project and trying to help.

Yes, but the NWS is interested in Unidata being the vehicle for getting
the Level II data out to the university community whether or not they
are on Internet 2.

>I just checked and sjsu doesn't seem to
>be listed among the Internet2 sites.  Have they recently become a member?

I don't know if they are on I2, but my impression was that they are.

>Also, the same holds true for Plymouth State, but perhaps they are on it
>now too.

Jim's I2 connection was supposed to be hooked up yesterday, but it was
delayed:

  "Our Abilene link was supposed to be turned on yesterday (10 June), but
  UNH had some hardware problems at their end--so after a year, I'm still
  waiting. However, I think that this problem may be resolved shortly
  (within a week or so)."

>Just an observation.  It looks like we will probably have plenty of sites
>anyway, right?

The folks that have responded so far are:

Contact           Site                              Response
David Wojtowicz   University of Illinois            yes
Harry Edmon       University of Washington          yes
Jim Koermer       Plymouth State                    yes
Art Person        Penn State                        concerned about volume
Mike Voss         San Jose State                    concerned about volume

Unidata Support   Unidata - thelma.ucar.edu         yes
Unidata Support   NSF/ATM - atm.geo.nsf.gov         yes
Unidata Support   SSEC    - unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu  yes