20030423: LDM-6 installations at Lyndon (cont.)

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>
>compress

Hi Mark,

re: what is apex's function at Lyndon

>Apex is the noaaport receiver system.  It will not be pulling data from any
>other sites; it's only purpose is to feed our ldm server(s).  It is running
>ldm 5 but is due for an upgrade sometime to ldm 6.0.10.  I will enable the
>stats when we make the upgrade.

Sounds good.

>Any external feeds would be managed through
>our data/ldm server which is currently zeus but will become omega shortly.
>Omega has started requesting data from apex and zeus so I can debug it's
>functionality.  How soon would you like stats from Omega?

As soon as it takes over from zeus, unless you have designs of running
zeus and omega in parallel for awhile.  In that case, I would appreciate
you reporting stats from omega which is presumably at LDM-6.0.10 and
stopping the stats reporing from zeus.

re: clock error on zeus
>There was an error in the ntpd configuration.  Thanks for pointing that out.

No worries.  The real time stats makes it possible for us to easily see
this sort of thing.

>I've run into a problem with ADDE requests are not being servered properly.
>I've pointed clients running mcidasx 7.8 and 2002b to use omega and any adde
>command returns an error about "stdin: not in compressed format".  I've
>updated /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf according to the installation
>documentation.  What can I check to help debug this problem further?

The problem is most likely that omega does not have the 'compress' utility
installed.  The McIDAS ADDE server module mcserv tries to run compress
from the /bin, then /usr/ucb, and then /usr/bin directories.  If all
of those locations fail, the transfer will fail.

>The system message log on Omega has the following items corresponding with the
>client requests:
>
>Apr 23 15:22:43 omega /kernel: pid 83375 (agetserv), uid 3054: exited on
>signal 11 (core dumped)
>Apr 23 17:19:54 omega /kernel: pid 47091 (agetserv), uid 3054: exited on
>signal 11 (core dumped)
>Apr 23 17:27:07 omega /kernel: pid 47166 (adirserv), uid 3054: exited on
>signal 11 (core dumped)
>Apr 23 17:27:16 omega /kernel: pid 47169 (adirserv), uid 3054: exited on
>signal 11 (core dumped)
>Apr 23 17:32:29 omega /kernel: pid 47204 (wtxgserv), uid 3054: exited on
>signal 11 (core dumped)

I am concerned about the core dump messages, but I won't worry about these
until you install compress on omega.  If omega is a Linux box, the standard
location for compress would be /usr/bin.  If it is an x86 box, compress
should be found in /bin, and so on.

Tom