Changes in "sirocco" feed at LSU (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 13:28:31 -0600
From: Alaric S. Haag <address@hidden>
To: LDM User List <address@hidden>,
     IDD Relay List <address@hidden>
Subject: Changes in "sirocco" feed at LSU

Hello folks,

I'm having some problems with keeping up with the flood of data coming
into sirocco.srcc.lsu.edu.  Many of you know this machine gets a feed
from the net, and is also cross-fed from another system here
(samoon.srcc.lsu.edu) that receives the DDPLUS stream on a KU dish as
a backup. Unfortch, the duplication of products, that go into the LDM
queue on sirocco are stressing that system, which feeds an in-house
LDM for product archival in the Climate Center.

Anywho, I'm working on configuring a Linux box to take the place of
sirocco, an aging Sun (brown dwarf?? sorry...) but have decided to
turn off the cross feed from samoon over to sirocco. We archive the
raw data from the dish, as well as the net feed on sirocco, so, if I
have a network outage, I can at least catch my shop up with those
rawfiles. I'll work to make those rawfiles available to others in
cases of failures at downstream sites.

I know many of you benefit from the dish feed when my upstream site
goes down, and I'd like to preserve that. I have cloned my "allow"
statements from sirocco over to samoon, so, downstream sites should be
able to fail over to samoon if the net fails sirocco upstream.

***
I would ask that you ONLY DO THIS WHEN DEALING WITH A FAILURE.
***

You might confirm the availability of samoon in a quick test sometime
if you like...

This configuration is only temporary, so I don't want to encourage a
great deal of reliance on it, but I need to make some changes locally
to keep my own shop's data flow in order, but I don't want to
negatively impact the LDM community that uses us as a feed.

Let me know if this causes anyone any problems, etc...

Cheers all!

--
Kind regards,
Ric

[ Alaric S. Haag, Computer Manager   mailto:address@hidden ]
[ Southern Regional Climate Center              Voice: (225) 388-6438 ]
[ Louisiana State University                      FAX: (225) 388-2912 ]
[ Baton Rouge, LA 70803                       http://www.srcc.lsu.edu ]