20010416: Importing ship format data

Jimmy,

The type of input file you have created in storms.txt is a SHIP
format surface file. That is, you have station ID's that move with
time (different slat/slon possitions for the same station id).

So, start with creating a ship format file:

 SFOUTF   = storms1.gem
 SFPRMF   = wind
 STNFIL   =
 SHIPFL   = y
 TIMSTN   = /500
 SFFSRC   =
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>r

Now you can use sfedit to read the data into the file.
Note that SFCFIL used only WIND as an expected parameter. That is
because slat and slon are already part of the surface file.

 SFEFIL   = storms.txt
 SFFILE   = storms1.gem
 GEMPAK-SFEDIT>r

 SFEDIT PARAMETERS:

 Edit file:           storms.txt

 Output surface file: storms1.gem

 Parameters to be added to file:

 SLAT SLON WIND

Now your data is in a ship format surface file. I can list it like:
 SFFILE   = storms1.gem
 AREA     = dset
 DATTIM   = all
 SFPARM   = dset