20010417: Installation problems

Werner,

The duplicate symbols messages are not a problem. They arise from
the need to order the gemlib libraries multiple times on the
link line so that one pass linkers will be satisfied.

It appears that the problem is in using the "-s" option with install.
The "-s" option will strip the executable, but you may not have
/usr/bin/strip installed on your system if if don't have the full
compiler_dev.sw.util package installed on your system. This might
be an option you omitted when you reinstalled your OS.

If you don't have strip installed, then you can remove the -s flag
from the install command definition in:
$CONFIGDIR/Makeinc.common --> INSTALL          = install -s

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support