Re: 20010416: Importing ship format data

Jimmy,

Your PARM line in storms.txt should be: PARM = SLAT;SLON;WIND
eg:

PARM = SLAT;SLON;WIND

STN     DATTIM         SLAT  SLON     WIND
BONN    980819/1200    14.7  -48.1    25
BONN    980819/1800    15.4  -50.1    30
BONN    980820/0000    16.2  -52.2    30
BONN    980820/0600    16.9  -54.7    30
<etc>

Now, create the file with sfprmf=wind as folows:

 SFOUTF   = storms.gem
 SFPRMF   = wind
 STNFIL   =
 SHIPFL   = y
 TIMSTN   = /500
 SFFSRC   =
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>r

 SFCFIL PARAMETERS:

 New surface file:      storms.gem

 Parameter file:        wind

 Station file:

 Number of stations in STNFIL:       0
 Number of additional stations:    500
 Total number of stations:         500
 Total number of times:              1

 This file will be a ship file.

Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:
 Parameters requested: SFOUTF,SFPRMF,STNFIL,SHIPFL,TIMSTN,SFFSRC.
 GEMPAK-SFCFIL>

Then run sfedit:

 SFEFIL    Surface edit file                 storms.txt
 SFFILE    Surface data file                 storms.gem
 Parameters requested: SFEFIL,SFFILE.
 GEMPAK-SFEDIT>r

 SFEDIT PARAMETERS:

 Edit file:           storms.txt

 Output surface file: storms.gem

 Parameters to be added to file:

 SLAT SLON WIND
Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:
 Parameters requested: SFEFIL,SFFILE.
 GEMPAK-SFEDIT>

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support