[Datastream #FXW-300604]: satellite images

Hi Sam,

re:
> Thanks for taking the time to write me back :-)

No worries.

re:
> This was the OLD link we used to display the self updating animated jpg
> satellite image for the Atlantic and gulf boaters.
>
> https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php/se/vis.jpg
> Noaa has discontinued continued this:
>
> It looked like this one, but of Florida.
> http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/weus/vis-animated.gif

I am aware of the NESDIS web pages though I rarely go to them (since
we have the primary data and can look at whatever whenever).  I was
not aware that NESDIS was going to stop producing the kinds of displays
that your site has come to rely on, but it is not surprising given
the severe budget cuts that NOAA has been going through over the past
several years.

re:
> This is the only one we found since this week.
>
> http://weather.cod.edu/data/satellite/subregional/Florida/current/Florida.02.jpg
>
> This a self updating jpg, however it is not animated, so boaters looking
> at it can not tell which direction the weather is coming from. So the
> importance of an animated gif or jpeg is great.

The sites I know about that make satellite imagery available are mostly
setup for interactive displays, so deep linking is not possible.

re:
> Our boating forum as become popular and members have become dependent on
> this satellite image for a quick look to see which direction the weather
> is coming from, which promoted safe boating passage.
>
> Noaa.gov, has these for Florida and other stated, so we are hoping that
> where ever they got there feed from would still be available for us to
> display.

I understand.

re:
> Our Xenforo forum platform can only be linked to the satellite images
> with a jpeg or gif image, so you can see why I am reaching out to the
> professionals for some assistance on the matter.

Got it.  Unfortunately, creation of the kind of content in the way that
you are setup to use it is not what we are funded to do.  Rather, we
make the primary data available so that others can create usable content,
do research, etc. using the data.

re:
> You can see the satellite image on our forum to the right of the page.
> http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/
>
> I am hoping that someone will be able to provide this to us.

I would imagine that some site out there will eventually (if they are not
already doing so) produce the kind of content that you are interested in.
I thought that the animations that the College of DuPage is making available
might fit the bill, but your comments suggests no.  But, I see that one
can download an animated GIF of any of the regions that they provide
imagery for, so getting animated content for your web site is possible,
but it would take some development on the back end of your web site.

I wish you the best of luck in finding what you need!

Ticket ID: FXW-300604
Department: Support Datastream