[AWIPS #ACY-138776]: Looking for support or help with AWIPS II installation

Hi there,

> We have been requested to get AWIPS II running on a Centos 7 server we have
> configured
> for our meteorologist. We have been working with a contact from NOAA NWS in
> Miami how
> has tried to be helpful but we are finding ourselves struggling to get the
> proper packages
> installed.
>
> The NOAA contact said to use Python2 which we are not in favor of because it
> is no longer
> supported. But we tried to install it with Python 2 because that is what the
> NOAA contact
> said works for them.

I assume since it's a server, you're trying to install EDEX (the backend
component of AWIPS)?
Are you trying to install our distribution (Unidata's) of AWIPS or are you
getting rpms from
somewhere else?  What version of AWIPS are you trying to install?

> I see on you web site that you clearly identify Python3 as a prerequisite. Is
> the version
> from your website working in Python3? Also looking for any support options
> for this product.
> We have spent a week and a half trying to get this installed and running
> properly.

Our current version of AWIPS (v 18) is almost entirely dependent on Python2.7.
Our direct
Windows install for CAVE (the client-side GUI application of AWIPS) is the only
package of
ours that uses Python3.

> Would love to speak to anyone who may be able to assist us.

We will do our best to assist you once we know more about what you're trying to
do.
Thanks.
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: ACY-138776
Department: Support AWIPS