[AWIPS #RGM-945173]: CAVE 18.2.1-5 Not Displaying Wind FLags

Hi Pete,

> I was able to rollback the Mac to OS 12.1 (earliest version of Monterey), and
> can confirm
> that AWIPS/CAVE 18.2.1-5 is running correctly and displaying the wind barbs,
> and color
> gradient features. At first running of CAVE in this environment, the
> following pop-message
> appears. Clicking on the “Learn More” tab links to the Python2 end of life
> url.

Okay, I'm glad you were able to roll back your machine and CAVE is working as
expected.

> This means that any new Mac’s that are purchased with OS Monterey
> preinstalled higher than
> 12.1 will not be able to run AWIPS/CAVE without a fix.

This is true, we have a warning on our installation page, as well as a blog
post about it
that we sent out to our users list.

> I urge your development team to rush a software fix for this issue, as it
> will surely impact
> all new Mac owners and those who have their OS set to “automatic update”, as
> Apple recommends
> to stay current with security threats.

At this time we are recommending using a Virtual Machine for anyone that
upgrades to the newest
version of MacOS.  Our next major release of AWIPS will be based entirely on
Python3 (no more
Python2 dependencies) so it should work with the latest releases of MacOS.  We
are starting
to focus more of our efforts on our next release since it will solve some of
these compatibility
issues (with the Mac definitely) rather than spend time trying to get Python2
to work on the
latest MacOS.

Thanks.
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: RGM-945173
Department: Support AWIPS