[AWIPS #RHI-479315]: Helping set up a Met Lab at College of Charleston

Hi Mike,

My name is Shay Carter, I am the local AWIPS contact here at Unidata.  Although,
I have only been here since September so I am far from an expert on the subject.

The best option, and lowest maintenance choice, for running AWIPS in a
university
lab would be to have machines with CAVE installed on them (this is the client
side
visualization application), and then point to our (Unidata's) cloud instance
of EDEX.  Our version of EDEX hosts all data (instead of being site/regionally
specific), and is maintained by us.  This way you don't need to install/run/
maintain your own version of EDEX.

Also, as far as machines go: as Tom mentioned already, Linux is the best choice
of
operating system for CAVE to run on.  It does run on Mac and Windows, but there
are at least some known issues for both of those.
Additionally, for the graphics card: 4GB Nvidia card is the most recommended
choice.
Other graphics cards are known to have display issues with CAVE, and running
with
less memory can create lag in the display.

I hope this helps provide a little bit more information.  Please feel free to
respond
to this message with any questions or comments.
Thanks.
--Shay Carter

Software Engineer II
UCAR - Unidata