[AWIPS #RHI-479315]: Helping set up a Met Lab at College of Charleston

Hi Mike,

First, I drove your email into our inquiry tracking system so that
other Unidata staff members can chime in if/when appropriate.

re:
> Hope all is well with you.

I'm well, thanks.  And you?

re:
> I have offered to help the College of Charleston set up a meteorology
> lab.  They recently expanded their physics department and have a
> Meteorology program with 30 students enrolled.  The program is in it's
> 3rd year.  They do not have a meteorology lab yet.
>
> http://physics.cofc.edu/undergrad-progs/meteorology-program/index.php

That is very nice of you!

re:
> After talking to them we thought it would be ideal to have 10-15 AWIPS
> CAVE clients running in a lab. I am assuming this is the recommended
> software for synoptic/forecasting. They are a small program of course
> with limited staff to maintain AWIPS infrastructure.  Would you say that
> Unidata AWIPS is stable and requires minimal administration once it is
> setup? I experimented with AWIPs several years ago, but not recently.

I would say that Unidata AWIPS is stable, and running CAVE is a manageable
proposition for programs with limited system administration resources.
Just so you know, CAVE is best run under Linux (RedHat/CentOS 7.x) as
there seem to be less problems than running it on Windows or MacOS.

Running EDEX, on the other hand, is not for the faint hearted!

re:
> Can you provide any hardware specifications on what the workstations
> and EDEX server(s) should be for an optimal experience?

I think that this is better answered by Shay Carter or Jeff Weber,
so I will standby while they jump in.

re:
> Since this lab is going to be built from scratch, do you have any
> recommendations on other software/hardware ?

Yes, but we will need to know a lot more about the full goals of
the department before we answer.

re:
> Also, do you know of any links or contacts on where I can direct them
> for Unidata/NSF equipment grants they could apply for?

There will be a call for proposals after the beginning of the year.
In the interim, I strongly suggest that you or someone at CoC look
through the Unidata website for information on previous equipment
grant calls for proposals.

re:
> Thanks for your help.

No worries.  Like I said above, I will now step aside and let others that
have more information jump in.

Great to hear from you!

Ticket ID: RHI-479315
Department: Support AWIPS