[AWIPS #HQY-126695]: NUCAPS in UNIDATA AWIPS CAVE

Hi Rebekah,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was out of the office yesterday.

> In the newest operational version of AWIPS, NUCAPS is available from
> NOAA-20 and I believe the Suomi NPP stream has been turned off from
> the SBN. I am using the edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu server - when I
> checked the UNIDATA CAVE client, I noticed NUCAPS is not available
> (I get a NoDataAvailableException: No Data Available" warning).
>
> Is it because the UNIDATA edex server is set-up to pull Suomi NPP? Also,
> starting with AWIPS 19.2.1-29, the new gridded NUCAPS product is
> available.

I just recently took over as the AWIPS developer here at Unidata, and
unfortunately, do not have all the answers to your questions at this time.
I am not sure why the NUCAPS data does not load in CAVE when pointed at
the Unidata cloud EDEX.  I have noticed this as well and will reach out
to some of my colleagues to see if they have an answer for that.

>  Does UNIDATA have any plans to release AWIPS v19 anytime
> soon? I want to alert users if there are updates in the pipeline.

At this time, the next version of Unidata AWIPS won't be until next year,
hopefully before summer, but I cannot say for sure.  At that time I'm not
sure if we'll be releasing a version of 19 or if we'll skip 19 entirely
and release a version of 20.

> For my clarification, does the version number on the UNIDATA CAVE CLIENT
> (e.g. 18.1.1-6) match the operational AWIPS version?

I believe the Unidata version corresponds with the operational version, but
may not match it.  For example if the operational version is 18.1 the
Unidata version may be 18.1.1.  I am not positive about this, but as far
as I understand for now, I believe that's how it works.

I'll look into NUCAPS a bit more and try to get back to you if I find out
anything new.
Sorry for the mostly incomplete answers.

Thanks.
--Shay Carter

Software Engineer II
UCAR - Unidata