Re: [thredds] Missing tdsDap.css -- was: (no subject)

  • To: Roland Schweitzer - NOAA Affiliate <roland.schweitzer@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] Missing tdsDap.css -- was: (no subject)
  • From: Sean Arms <sarms@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 09:20:10 -0700
Ok, I think I found the issue...

In the "head" element of the opendap html page, there is a "base" element
that points to opendap.org, which should force all relative links in the
html file, like the one to the css file, to use that base (base is a
standard HTML4 element). However, it looks like this might be implemented
inconsistently among different browsers. For example, in the developer
tools in Safari, I can click the "/thredds/tdsDap.css" link and it will
take me to the actual css file distributed with the war file. Yay.

The css appears to be applied on the page (again, in Safari), even though
the browser should be looking here for the css if it is obeying the base
element:

http://www.opendap.org/online_help_files/thredds/tdsDap.css

but in other places the base element is working as intended by HTML4. For
example, the base element is used to take users to the help page for the
various "blue" links on the left side of the page (e.g. Action, Data URL,
Global Attributes, etc.) and works as expected.

There is also a link to a perl script hosted at Unidata that has been dead
for quite some time...no idea about that one.

So, in the end, the cruftyness of the opendap html page bites us again (it
used to say it was tested on Netscape 4.6, so that's something, right?). We
need to do a full review/refactor of that page and get it up to modern
standards.

Thanks Rolland and Roy for putting up with our questions, and we will get
this fixed for the 4.6.5 release.

Cheers,

Sean