Re: [ldm-users] NTP (Re: Downstream LDM Problems

On 07/11/11 13:36, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Peter Laws wrote:

Yeahh .... so what can we do about this?

NTP is one of those things, in 2011, that should be configured when the
system is built. If done correctly, it never needs to be dinked with
again. Likewise a system's local timezone.

Well, for most of us its easy. The NWS have things firewalled to heaven, so
getting NTP to work isn't trivial for them.

What do we need to do to help folks get this set up? It's not hard unless
you've never done it before. :-)

What I find is that if you don't take care of it at installation, it never
gets done. One good thing about Windows (shudder) is that by default, upon
installation, it's always on. As for a solution, it's the same lesson I had

For XP at least (dunno about MSW7 or MSWServer 2k3/2k8) that means a Simple NTP client is on and it's set to only poll one server, once a week. Keeps you in the ball park of correct time, but it's so trivial to be within ms of correct time that it's hardly worth it.

If you are running Windows, see these tips to make the built-in SNTP client more useful: http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/WindowsTimeService http://blog.malayter.com/2008/03/configuring-windows-time-service.html

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws@xxxxxx

  • Search the ldm-users archives: